Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Whole wheat and honey bread

I used to make this bread once a week. Every week...In keeping with my plan to get back on track I had a kitchen day today. I scrubbed everything down and made this bread, pineapple and bran muffins and chocolate cake. The cake is wrapped and put away, waiting to be iced tomorrow for dinner. The muffins are in the freezer waiting to be eaten for breakfast next week.


Here's my whole wheat and honey bread recipe.


3 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups white flour
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp. salt

I just dump everything in my kitchen aid and knead it with the dough hook. If you don't have a mixer with dough hooks you get to get your hands dirty! I put it into a big, oiled bowl (turn the dough in the oil once) and let it rise about an hour and a half (or until doubled). Then I shape it into 2 loaves and let them rise again in greased loaf pans. I use 8 inch pans for this. Today, I let the loaves rise a bit too much on the second rising, (I had to run out for a minute) so the loaves are a wee bit misshapen :) But that's okay they're still just as tasty! After the second rising bake the loaves in a 375 degree oven for about half an hour. Easy!!




No comments: