Monday, November 11, 2019

Last week in my kitchen


It's been a fairly busy week in my kitchen. From jam and donut making to regular meals and a birthday dinner a lot got done.

wild blueberry jam and the first snow fall

I only got a couple of regular meal photos but last week's menu was pretty easy. They included:

Sole topped with creamed spinach. Steamed carrots and rice on the side.

Sausage, eggplant and mushrooms over egg noodles

Gluten free fusilli with cheese and bacon

As well as burgers with oven fries one night, beef stir fry another and a couple of nights of leftovers. I kept the meals easy last week because we celebrated my aunt's 81st birthday last night. My husband's aunt and uncle were visiting from New Brunswick and we had them over, along with my aunt, my mom and my husband's sister. I spent a good portion of Saturday getting ready for it but that made the day itself fairly easy. It's all in the planning. We had:

-roast beef and gravy
-mashed potato casserole 
-rolls
-burgundy mushrooms
-beets vinaigrette
-pickles
-black forest cake

It was basically all made ahead except for the beef and gravy. The cake layers I made on Saturday then I made the frosting and assembled the cake on Sunday afternoon. It was a good evening with great company. Unfortunately, I had such a good time that I forgot to take all of the photos that I wanted to!




Tray of dishes for dessert ready to go


The table is set
Bread and buns. I used the rolls for the birthday dinner

Burgundy mushrooms...or as I like to call them nine hour mushrooms! These are amazing and well worth the nine hours, especially since most of it is hands off cooking


Black Forest Cake

My lovely aunt with her mile high Black Forest Cake

Cut view of the cake

Beyond that there's some other things I've been working on which I'm almost ready to share about. And our washing machine broke this morning...ugh. After my husband spending two hours trying to fix it we decided that it had given up the ghost so I need to make time for washing machine buying this week. And so it goes....









No comments: