Wednesday, August 4, 2010

update on homemade facial products

I thought I'd post an update on my homemade facial products. It's been fun and interesting but so far I've only made two things.

This is the exfoliator. I ground oatmeal, skim milk powder, oatmeal, dried lavender and cornmeal to a very fine powder in the blender. This I really like. It smells wonderful and your skin feels great after you rinse it off.

This is the citrus cream cleanser. The recipe called for lanolin but I didn't use it, I used extra beeswax instead. I made this about a month ago. It was a little tricky to make. You had to be really quick or your wax started to harden. This contains apricot oil, virgin coconut oil, beeswax, distilled water, a pinch of borax, vitamin E oil, grapefruit essential oil and lavender essential oil.



It smelled like heaven and I really liked the consistency. And it did a good job cleaning my face. BUT it's supposed to have a shelf life of 3 months if kept in the fridge and within 3 weeks it had gotten all watery underneath the cream layer. I tried to remix it but that didn't really work. Maybe I didn't do it quite right in the first place.

Both of these recipes come from the book "Do it Gorgeously" by Sophie Uliano. I'm going to be making more stuff out of here. I think as my technique improves so will the final product!

I'm still doing the vegan cleanse. You can find that blog at http://www.project21days.blogspot.com/

More later

No comments: